I hope you are liking Nanchi’s Fun Facts Friday. Last friday, I posted about Hawa Mahal and you guys gave amazing response. I am elated. This week, I bring you the pride and heritage of Pune — Shaniwar Wada. Scroll down to read the fun facts. The fifth fact will shock you! 😀
- Built in 1732 on Saturday, it was the seat of Peshwas of the Maratha Empire.
- The total cost was Rs.16,110/-
- Originally Shaniwar Wada was a seven-storey building. Upon being attacked by the British Artillery, all the top six stories collapsed leaving only the stone base, which was immune to the British artillery.
- Shaniwar Wada Fort was majorly destroyed by the unknown fire in 1828.
- The ruling peshwa, Narayanrao was murdered by his uncle and people believe his ghost still haunts the fort and calls for the help on the full moon nights.😨
- Shaniwar Wada has six gates – Dilli Darwaza, Khidki Darwaza, Mastani Darwaza, Ganesh Darwaza and Narayan Darwaza.
- To avoid elephants charging, Dilli Darwaza has 72 sharp 12-inch spikes on each gate arranged in 9X8 grid at the approx. height of forehead of an elephant.
- The fort had an exquisite lotus-shaped fountain known as Hazari Karanje (Fountain of a thousand jets). Most complicated and complex design of that time.
- Bollywood movies like Bajirao Mastani and Panipat has featured Shaniwar Wada.