Another week…Another Friday! We are always fascinated about caves, ancient structures and nature! I have written about the Bhaja Caves and Cave 10 Ellora Caves and you might read more about such mind boggling structures. Today in Nanchi’s Fun Facts Friday, I will be sharing about the one such carving in the Cave no.29.
Let’s begin. Here are the fun facts…
- This huge structure is of Andkasura Vadha Murti of Shiva which is located in the Cave no. 29 also called as Dhumar Lena Cave.
- The gigantic sculpture of Shiva can be seen in the ferocious avtar.
- The sculpture has eight arms, two are lifted up, holding the elephant’s hide as the hood and spear in one hand.
- Shiva is seen killing the devil, Andhaka who had abducted Parvati (Shiva’s wife)
- Andhaka had the boon that as his blood dripped on the ground he will be reproduced in thousands forms.
- To stop the blood from falling, Shiva was helped by shaktis (godesses) also known as Saptamatrika.
- Shaktis collected blood in the bowls to stop the resurrection and Shiva won the battle.
- Parvati can be seen sitting on the right bottom.
- This cave has quite similarities with the Elephanta Caves.
There are so many sculptures on different panels in each cave and each one of them has a story. So, next time whenever you visit the Dhumar Cave or the cave no.29 and see this panel, you know the story behind it.
I hope you liked it.