Another week… and another Nanchi’s Fun Facts Friday. Though, all the days are feeling the same! But we need to remind ourselves to keep sane and normal. 😂😂Haha! Throwback to the days when we use to travel almost every weekend at a new destination. This post is quite interesting and not known by many people. So, I will be talking about the Nighoj Potholes or Ranjan Khalge in Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra state. Here are the fun facts….
- Nighoj (Ranjan Khalge) Potholes are Asia’s largest natural potholes on the riverbed of the Kukadi river in the Nighoj village.
- Located just 75 Kms from Pune, Nighoj is in Ahmednagar District of Maharashtra State.
- Science suggest that because of the high rainfalls in former days, Kukadi river flow out from the highlands with such a force that ended up scouring the basalt rocks.
- The fascinating formations and terrain look like canyon or other wordly. It can be imagined like a moon’s surface.
- The gorge is around 2-3 kms in length.
- The Malganga Temple is located on the riverbed of the Nighoj Potholes which is visited by thousand of pilgrims.
Do you wish me to post more detailed description and photographs of Nighoj? Please do share your thoughts.
I hope this post created interest in you about knowing this place and more. Read some of the more Nanchi’s Fun Facts here…
- Vijay Stambh
- Redwoods Forest, NZ
- Bhaja Caves
- Hawa Mahal